Seyed Mostafa Assi
Seyed Mostafa Assi
Professor and Dean, Faculty of Linguistics
Institute for Humanities and Cultural Studies
- Ph.D. in Linguistics (with emphasis on lexicography and computational linguistics),
University of Exeter, England, 1989
- MA in General Linguistics , University of Tehran, Iran, 1971
- BA in English Literature , University of Tehran, Iran, 1968
- Certificates in Computer Programming and Systems Analysis, Tehran and Exeter.
- 1995-1997 and 2010-present: Dean of Faculty of Linguistics
- 1992- 1995 and 1997-2010: head of General Linguistics Department
- 1971-present: member of the academic staff of the Iranian Academy of Language and Institute for Humanities and Cultural Studies (IHCS)
1977-present: Teaching General Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Lexicography, Terminology, Morphology and Grammatical Structure of the Persian Language in Iran’s major universities such as: Tehran, Allameh Tabatabai, Az-Zahra, Tarbiat Modarres, Mashhad, Isfahan, Sistan and Baluchestan Universities and IHCS (Institute for Humanities and cultural Studies).
Supervising more than 100 PhD and MA dissertations in Linguistics.
- 1976. Computer Terms: What is Your Proposal? , Tehran: Iranian Academy of Language. (co-author)
- 1993. Farsi Standard 8 bit Code for Information Interchange, (co-author), Tehran: Institute of Standards and Industrial Research of Iran.
- 1996. A Selective Lexicon of Linguistics, Tehran: Scientific and Cultural Publications.
- 1998. A Comprehensive Dictionary of Management, Tehran: Allameh Tabataba'i University Press. (consultant)
- (1999) Information and Documentation – Transliteration of Arabic Characters into Latin characters- Part 3: Persian Language –Simplified Transliteration. International Standard: ISO 233-3. (co-author)
- 2003. A Comprehensive Persian-English Dictionary, in 4 volumes, in collaboration with M. Aryanpur,Tehran: Computer World Publications.
- 2005a. One-Volume English- Persian dictionary, (in collaboration with M. Aryanpur), Tehran: Computer World Publications.
- 2005b. Proceedings of the First Conference of the Linguistics Society of Iran, Tehran: Linguistics Society of Iran. (editor)
- 2001-2007. Persian Equivalents for Computer Terms, vols.1-9, Tehran: Academy of Persian Language and Literature. (co-author)
- 2007. Proceedings of the 7th Conference on the Iranian Linguistics, co-editor, two vols, Tehran: Allameh Tabatabai University.
Selected English Articles
- 1981." Persian Computing at Exeter ", in: Official Rumours, No.33, Exeter: University of Exeter, pp. 7-9.
- 1985. " School of Kamal-ol-Molk: An Introduction " (translated from Persian into English), in: School of Kamal-ol-Molk , Tehran: Abgineh Publications.
- 1990. " Computer-aided Bilingual Lexicography and the Persian Language", paper presented at the Fourth EURALEX International Congress, Malaga, Spain.
- 1994. " A Computerised English/Persian Dictionary of Linguistic Terms: A project report", paper presented at the Sixth EURALEX International Congress, Amsterdam (7 pages + poster presentation).
- 1997. " Farsi Linguistic Database (FLDB)" in: The International Journal of Lexicography, Vol.10, No.3, p.6, Oxford University Press.
- 2000. " Grammatical Tagging of a Persian Corpus" with M.H. Abdolhosseini, in: The International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, Vol.5, No. 1, pp.69-81.
- 2001. " Why do we need a separate character block for the Persian script in the Unicode Standard?" in: Gozaresh-e-Computer (Computer Report), No.146, pp.2-3.
- 2003. "Terminology and standardization in Iran", lecture presented at the Summer Academy of Terminology, Vienna.
- 2004. "Persian language and IT", in the Proceedings of the Second Workshop on Information Technology and Its Disciplines, Tehran: Statistical Center of Iran.
- 2005a. "Automatic Word Prediction in a Running Text: A Statistical Language Modeling for the Persian Language" with M. Ghayoomi, in the Proceedings of the PALC Conference, Lodz: Poland.
- 2005b. "Word Prediction in a Running Text: A Statistical Language Modeling for the Persian Language" with M. Ghayoomi, poster presented at the Australian Language Technology Workshop2005, Sydney University, Australia.
- 2006. "Linguistic Policy for Developing Persian Top-Level Domain Names", with E. Vilataj and M. Azadnia, poster presented at the 3rd. Workshop on Information Technology and Its Disciplines (WITID 2006), Isfahan, Iran.
- 2010. "A new approach to identify crimes in Iranian society: Forensic Linguistics", (co-author) in: The International Journal of Criminology and Social Theory, Vol.3, No. 2.
- 2011. "Analysis of the Usage of Basic Vocabulary in Persian Translational and Non-
Translational Children’s Literature
- 2013. "A Synchronic, diachronic and contact study of Persian suffix -gari", with Hashemi, H. paper presented at the Fifth International Conference on Iranian Linguistics (ICIL5), Bamberg, Germany.
- 2015. "The Emergence of corpus linguistics in Iran: A New horizon in Iranian language studies", paper presented at the Sixth International Conference on Iranian Linguistics (ICIL6), Tbilisi, Georgia.
- 2016. "Persian Linguistic Database (PLDB) and its historical corpus", with Ghandi, S. paper presented at the Nineteenth International Conference on Text, Speech and Dialogue, Brno, Czech Republic.
- Forthcoming. "Persian Lexicography" in: Oxford Handbook of Persian Linguistics, Oxford University Press, UK.
More than 80 articles in Persian.
Persian Language, Lexicography, Corpus Linguistics and Computational Linguistics
Membership in scientific societies
- Present: member of several scientific research councils
- Present: member of the editorial board of several scientific–research magazines
- Present: member of the computer and IT terminology group of the Persian Academy of language and literature
- Present: member of the linguistics terminology group of the Persian Academy of language and literature
- 2007-2010: president of the Linguistics Society of Iran
- 1997: member of Asian Association for Lexicography (ASIALEX)
- 1990: member of Dictionary Society of North America (DSNA)
- 1983: member of the European Association for Lexicography (EURALEX)
- 1979: member of Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing (ALLC)